Is the red light blinking on your Netgear router bothering you? If your answer is in the affirmative, then you are at the right place. Reasons are because of which there is an abnormality in your Router and the steps to correct it. The light flickering on the Router may get irritating at times, and it becomes extremely important to know the reason so that we can process to solve the issue. Therefore, knowing the issue is the first step towards solving it.
- 1 Netgear Router Red light Issue
- 2 Reasons Behind The Netgear Router Red Light Issue
- 3 How To Resolve The Netgear Router Red Light Issue?
- 3.1 Update The Firmware
- 3.2 Check The Ethernet Cables
- 3.3 Change Your Router’s Location
- 3.4 There Should Be No Physical Obstruction
- 3.5 A Continuous And Proper Power Supply
- 3.6 Reset The Router
- 3.7 Please Switch Off The Router And Switch It On After A Few Minutes
- 3.8 Keep The Router In A Well Ventilated Space
- 3.9 Reset The Device Properly
- 3.10 Configure The Router Properly
- 4 Conclusion
Netgear Router Red light Issue
Every light serves a purpose on the Netgear router and is not simply put up for accessory details. Each color indicates a certain condition, whether it switches off or switches on, whether the system is starting, or it is ready to work. Each color serves a purpose.
When we turn on the Netgear router, the color will be amber and keep blinking for a few seconds before turning to green or white. When the light turns green or white, it indicates that the Router is ready to work.
There are two situations of a perfectly working router in which it will show red colour first, if we are setting up the Router. The second reason is when we are updating the Firmware to its latest version. But the Netgear router red light issue may also come up for various other reasons, which are below.
Reasons Behind The Netgear Router Red Light Issue
Normally the Router shall show either green or white colour. But in some cases, it shows the red colour, which indicates that there is some problem with the connection. Below are the probable reasons.
- When there is an error in the connection, you will see a red light. Sometimes the network sessions gets overloaded. In such cases also it may show a red light.
- If the connection gets slowed out by any damage or defective Ethernet Cable, in such cases, the connection may interrupt, and hence, a red light may pop up.
- Loose connection of the wires with the modem or the Router with the device or the plug point.
- If the internet connection keeps dropping, that is if your device is getting disconnected now and then.
- If you have not set up the Router properly.
- Suppose the Router is not at a proper place, it gets proper ventilation or is covered with or wrapped.
- If because of obstacles, the connection interrupts.
- When your data gets over, and you have no data packs or data plans.
- While resetting the Router, if it gets partially reset.
- When the Router is in the corners or near the walls.
- If your Firmware is not up to date.
If too many devices connect with the Router, the Router may face difficulty connecting with the Router, and hence, the red light may pop up.
While setting up or making any changes, type the wrong address.
How To Resolve The Netgear Router Red Light Issue?
Follow the following steps to resolve this issue :
Update The Firmware
It is necessary to keep the Firmware always up to date. Updating the Firmware will not only solve the red light issue but will also solve the login issue.
While attempting to log in if the Firmware is not up to date, you may face problems.
Check The Ethernet Cables
Make sure the Ethernet cables have no defects or have no damage.
Always use proper cables. Replace them in case they are old and if they have any damage.
Change Your Router’s Location
Keep the routers at the center of the house. They should not be kept at the corner or behind obstacles.
Please don’t keep it hidden away inside cabinets, or else you will face connectivity issues.
There Should Be No Physical Obstruction
If there is some physical obstruction, the internet connectivity can affect the connectivity issue. For example, red light may show up.
A Continuous And Proper Power Supply
If the power supply is not continuous, it may lead to a disturbance in the Router working, and hence even the connectivity will be poor.
Reset The Router
Resetting and rebooting the Router helps most of the issues. To reset the Router, search for a pin or a toothpick, or any object to press the reset button.
Unfortunately, the reset button is a small hole-like thing on the Router. Therefore, just pressing the reset button once won’t work. Instead, press the reset button and hold it for at least 30 seconds so that the Router can be reset. That’s how you fix the netgear router red light.
Please Switch Off The Router And Switch It On After A Few Minutes
Unplug all the cables connected with the Router, disconnect all the devices, wait for a few minutes, and then switch it on. Due to overloading, the Router may be having a red light issue.
Overloading may slow down the internet connection as well.
Keep The Router In A Well Ventilated Space
The Router should be kept in good ventilation. Nothing shall be on it. There shall be no blocks on air vents. If the air vents have blocks, the device will overheat and would damage the device. Keep the Router in good ventilation. Helps to fix Netgear router red light issue.
Reset The Device Properly
While resetting the router device, make sure that the device is properly reset and not getting interruptions. Improper resetting may lead to the occurrence of red light on the Router.
Reset the Router once again and this time, make sure the reset process has no interruptions.
Configure The Router Properly
Even a small mistake in the spelling while configuring the network settings will create problems, and you will not connect with the Internet. So make sure after resetting the device that you are entering the correct details carefully.
See also: Netgear Router Login.
In this article, we have discussed the reasons as well as the feasible solutions for the Netgear router red light issue. Hope these methods were useful to you. Have a great day!
You can always find me with a cup of coffee Googling anything and everything related to the networking. Refer to our detailed How-To Guides on wifi routers and never face any issue with router again!