As the security threats keep on rising, humans continue to come out with ways to tackle them. Along with the new techniques, they keep on strengthening the old ones. One such method of securing your transactions and communication is a Network Security key.
Known, informally as “password” or “passkey,” a Network security key is one of the oldest methods. Yet, the securest when you talk about protecting confidential stuff.
I don’t think you need me to tell me where you use passwords. From bank transactions to your Facebook account, they’re everywhere. The network security key, we use most commonly in tandem with our networks.
Those who know its importance take their own merry time to configure them. Thus, they are making sure that transmission is secure with no or negligible interceptions.
Why Do You Need Network Security Key?
I can safely say that we take our passwords for granted. But that is until we lose them. If and when you end up losing your network security key, using the internet becomes a far cry. No more Spotify, NetFlix, or amazon prime for you. No binge-watching.
And no, you cannot add more devices to your network without verifying the credentials.
So, if you don’t change it often, you could write your Network Security key down. If you do(change them), then jotting them down becomes impractical. Then, you require ways to find it out on your device itself. Luckily for you, I know some ideas, and I’m going to share them with you right away.
Can You Find Network Security Key from System/Mobile?
Indeed, you can. If you tend to forget your Network security key pretty often, then it can work wonders for you. But you may ask, how does that work?
Well, when you enter your pass, for the first time, to connect to wifi, it keeps a log of your passwords. In an encrypted form, of course, but you can see them whenever you like.
I’m going to cover how you can retrieve your Network security key for
- Phones with android
- PCs with Windows OS
How To Find Your Key Via Android Device?
- A service in android allows you to have portable wifi. Your phone can provide internet to someone else’s. Also, you can do it even when you’re on the go.
- You need to make all the devices ready. When you go to your settings, find the “Hotspot and tethering” option, it is the one to help you. Tap on it to open it. Then you’ll encounter the option of toggling the service off/on.
- Right below it, will be the 8-character Network security key, can you see it? Notice that it has both alphabets and digits. You can incorporate symbols, too, just like any other password.
- That is not all, though. There will be a button that says “more” on the top right of your screen. It provides you additional facilities. It includes services like making your device disappear.
- Then it allows you to define your degree of security. You can arrange your password. Make sure it is strong enough. Also, it provides you Network security keys to choose from. By default, it has checked the WPA2 PSK, which is the strongest.
- You can opt for not having a network security key, but I don’t recommend it.
- If you scroll down a bit, you’ll see your password in the form of dots. You can see it by clicking on the “show password” option below.
- You can also choose the name of your hotspot according to your convenience.
- That was for you folks with android mobiles. Let us get on with the next part.
How To Find Your Security Key Through Windows PC
- Considering the population that owns and uses windows operated system, how can we not discuss it? So, the following are the steps to find your key on the same:
- The first thing you have to do is to open your PC’s settings. You can do it either by clicking the window button on your keyboard. Alternatively, click the icon on the extreme left bottom. You’ll get the same outcome. It will provide you with a couple of images.
- Choose the one that depicts settings, the one that looks like a gear.
- Is it done till now? Now, once you open the settings, double tap on the internet option. If you scroll down a bit on the screen that opens, there is another option. The one that serves your purpose now is the “Network sharing center.” It may vary with different versions of the OS.
- On the page that opens, there primarily will be two things. On one side will be the name of your wifi, on the other, a hyperlink!! Clicking on it opens a small dialogue box. Therein, click on wireless properties options to open another dialogue box.
- When that happens, switch the tab to security. Now similar to the mobile version, to view the Network security key, check the small checkbox below.
That is all it takes.
There, I have, in the simplest way possible, described the whole “finding your Network security key” process. If you stick to what I have told you, I don’t see how you’ll have any trouble.
Do visit us for more such articles!
You can always find me with a cup of coffee Googling anything and everything related to the networking. Refer to our detailed How-To Guides on wifi routers and never face any issue with router again!